Cold Lake Montessori encourages independent, self-directed learning for life in a child-centered, international community valuing peace, respect for others, and pride in individual differences.
Cold Lake Montessori was founded in 2007 to foster a love of learning and to educate children to be caring, socially responsible citizens of their community and world. Cold Lake Montessori seeks to educate the whole child, applying the Montessori philosophy, in a family-oriented environment. The philosophy is based on the principles of Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952) whose holistic vision of education focuses on the cognitive, social, emotional and physical needs of the child. For Dr. Montessori, and for Cold Lake Montessori, education is preparation for life.
The following tenets underlie the philosophy of Cold Lake Montessori:
- to provide a safe and nurturing environment which supports the child’s physical, social, artistic, emotional and intellectual (cognitive) development;
- that a high quality, developmentally appropriate program and materials are available to all children;
- that children have enormous potential for growth and achievement (especially under the age of 6), and that they should have rights to fulfill their possibilities;
- that children are unique who may or may not reflect the usual characteristic of other children of their same age;
- that a developmentally appropriate curriculum is correctly tailored to the specific needs of each child;
- that learning should be based upon children’s interests and that children should be actively involved in their education;
- that any kind of life experience is valuable for learning